Monday, March 7, 2016

The Red and Black in John Singer Sargent

When I was in grade school, my parents frequently took me to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. I had this notion that John Singer Sargent was the person who painted portraits in red and black. This red and black contrast Is seen in many of his studio portraits of the 1880’s but almost never in his landscapes. The twelve portraits Sargent did from 1898 to 1908 of the Wertheimer family of London were displayed at the Jewish Museum in New York from October 1999 to February 2000, and do not have a red and black contrast. Since Sargent did more than 2,000 water colors and about a thousand oil paintings, the red black combination is less than 2% of his oeuvre. However, it is a very vivid childhood memory I have of his paintings.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment