Friday, September 4, 2009

Photo Essays







I enjoy making photo essays. This summer I took a photo editing class with a great instructor, Michael Swoboda. We covered topics like typography, history of photography, architecture, art history, design, color theory, and an endless list of other subjects. I started putting together these photo essays on 11" x 14" paper, and would bring them in the morning to the group I have coffee with at Einstein's each morning. Nobody would read the text if it was more than a few lines. The challenge was to edit the information.

Here are two of my favorite subjects, the International Typographic Style and the font Helvetica. I spent the 5th grade in Munich Germany in 1955 when my father was in the Army. I noticed this style that I didn't remember seeing in the States. Last year I got into a Helvetica frenzy, and used it for almost every poster I made. I couldn't get enough Helvetica. There even is a feature length film made for its 50th anniversary in 2007. I don't think any other font has a movie.

Here's a link to see more of my photo essays.



No comments:

Post a Comment